It feels so fascinating when looking at potters working and playing with their pottery wheel and clay. One closely following the potter can become interested in the profession. And it is not a bad hobby to adopt but it is a relaxing one indeed. In this guide, we will tell you complete steps about how to make a pottery wheel.
If you are also not professional in ceramic art and don’t want to be the one but just want to do pottery as your hobby. Then homemade pottery wheel is best for you to practice on.
The self-made pottery wheel doesn’t need a lot of technical professionalism but the making of the pottery wheel is simple.
In this article, we will give you detailed makings of the pottery wheel so you can start making your pots as soon as you make your pottery wheel at home.
How to Make a Pottery Wheel
Making of a pottery wheel:
Making the pottery wheel is easy to do.
The material you need for making the wheel is.
- Low RPM motor.
- Drilling and screwing equipment.
- Electric power supply.
- A plastic bucket.
- Wooden slabs and roads.
Steps to follow:
You have to follow the following steps to make the homemade pottery wheel that will work Ok for beginners.
- Assemble the material: Before getting into the making procedure assemble all the material that we have mentioned above in a list.
- Measuring and cutting the wooden slab: Take the wooden slab and measure the round base of the plastic bucket because the wooden slab cutting is going to fix in the bucket. Cut the slabs of wood in the same measurements as that of the plastic bucket.
Cut two rounds of the wooden slab as the same measurement as that of the plastic bucket’s base.
- Low RPM motor: Now arrange a low RPM motor. You can buy one that is only cost you 50 bugs.
There is also another way of getting the motor, you can remove it from the fan or hoverboard. Take the motor from the one which is not in function due to some nonelectric disrupting.
- Connecting the motor: Make the motor functional by doing the necessary treatment to that motor.
You can also connect the motor with a peddle or just you can work with the uninterrupted power supply also. It is suggested not to go into the complexities of the peddle, just connect the motor with the power supply.
While connecting to the power supply the wheel will rotate uninterruptedly until you don’t turn off the power supply.
If you connect it with a peddle you can stop the rotation of the wheel by stop pushing the peddle.
- Attaching the motor with the wooden circles: Now attach the motor with the wooden circles. As we have cut two circles out of the wooden slab. One will be used as a base of the machine and the other will be used as a rotating wheel above the motor.
The base will get fixed at the end of the motor with the screws and the other circle round will be inserted on the motor’s rod at the top and will start to rotate as soon as the motor starts working.
- Placing the system in the bucket: Now the functional system is ready, just you have to cover it with a solid body.
Place the system in the bucket by keeping in mind that the top wheel should be 2-3 inches lower than the top of the plastic bucket. This will help to make a minimal mess as the bucket’s surroundings will get the splashes of water and clay and unable them to go all around the floor and other surrounding things.
You can adjust the length of the system in the bucket by placing the roads in the bucket with the glow. This is a useable trick when the bucket is long enough to keep the system below your range.
If the bucket is small you can go without the rods also.
See what is suitable and then adjust it accordingly.
Can someone learn pottery at home?
Yes, learning always is just a matter of interest. If you are interested enough in pottery you can learn it at home.
Playing with clay is never go boring and in this era of technology, you can learn anything from YouTube and other learning Media. It is also true that learning pottery is not anyone’s left hands play you need time and practice to master the art.
Named the best clay for beginners?
Stoneware clay is considered the best for beginners. This is the best because of the following bold reasons.
- The clay contains some amount of plastic. This plastic allows the clay to stand when once gets dry.
- The clay also has grog added to it. The grog will add strength to the clay.
- The non-porous quality of the clay makes the end product strong.
Which is the best pottery wheel for beginners?
Artista speedball poetry wheel is best for beginners. It is not much expensive and provides the optimum features that a beginner needs for the start of its passion.
It only costs around 400$.
What ceramic artists called?
The ceramic artist is called the potter if he specifically makes pots the most. Other names for the ceramic artist are ceramists, ceramicists.
Let’s end the discussion with a conclusion.
The making of a pottery wheel is inexpensive to do. You don’t need to have a lot of money to build a beginner’s style pottery wheel at home. All just you need is some technical information about the motors and their connectivity and some essential equipment.
The homemade pottery wheel will work OK if build properly. It is really good for the people who just want to have pottery in their life as a hobby. It is foolish to buy an expensive pottery wheel if you are not a professional in the field and just do it for time to pass. A homemade pottery wheel is the best option to have then.
Thank you for reading this article. If you like it let us know in the comment section below.
Your response will be appreciated